Wednesday, January 1, 2014

That groaning sound around Chicago is the "wait until next year" groan. Next year was supposed to be this year with the return of Derrick Rose and the arrival of an offense for the Bears. Both teams trying to follow in the footsteps of the Blackhawks and win it all.
Chicago is used to waiting until next year. Just ask Cub fans who unlike me are willing to wait another one hundred years for a championship.

The Bears had a tougher schedule than they did last year but with some semblance of a defense this team should have gone 11-5. There'll be chatter over contract talks with Jay Cutler and a number of goofs saying we should let Mcown be the starter. That's just distraction for the real problem. And I dare not say its name because I've said it all season and it never materialized. There was no reason the season should have come down to the final game against Green Bay. Some may see the sentimentality and even justification since we took out Rodgers in the first place. I don't I see a major choke against a team whose Quarterback hadn't played a down in over a month as any reason to be sentimental.

Like Jay Cutlers return from a serious injury there was talk of a bit of rust. But rusty or not all that was worked out in a scrimmage type atmosphere. The Bears put up no type of fight on defense (oops I said I wouldn't say it).

But now that I've said it and we've gone over twenty four hours without news that Brandon Marshall went all Mike Tyson on someone at a bar I might allow myself some hope for next year since we have to sit through another baseball season with two team racing to see who is the fastest to the bottom.

The Blackhawks again for those concerned is our hope for a championship. At least a competitive season. The Bulls will put forth a game effort and if they're lucky reach .500 and the final playoff spot in the east if they stop losing to Toronto or The Knicks.

Chicago is a sports city. Period. With all of the sundry distractions. They're only to kill time until the game starts. For goodness sake The University of Chicago once had a Heisman Trophy winner. A  college basketball championships for Loyola University. Numerous championships in a number sports. Not to mention larger than life heroes.
We'll bounce back from this blow but the question is how long will we put up with the underachieving?
I've saved bare skin on my body for the biggest Cubs tattoo when they win a World Series but I'm not sure I'll be in Chicago when it happens nor am I sure I will care. Worlds biggest party for sure. But only if they win it and not before. Let's leave the choking to the cities with a lesser history of winning.

No comments: