Wednesday, October 22, 2014

So the Bears are 3-4, 0-3 at home after losing to a terrible Dolphins team. If I'm overstating that they sure looked terrible on Sunday at times which only made me madder at what I was seeing. I cannot remember a QB not named Favre or Rodgers go13 for 13 to start a game. The Bears defense sure made Tannehill look like he was Colin Kaepernick.
Once again it is about the defense. I can say the offense looks like the offense of an 8-8 team which the Bears will be lucky to be this season. The defense looked just as bad as it did all last season and I think it'll get worse in New England unless this madness of winning on the road continues. I can hear the faithful ginning up talk of firing Mel Tucker. No matter how much a head coach tries to hide his chagrin against the cameras I could see that Mark Trestman was seething over the way his team was played defense.
I sat there wondering who would step it up and make some stops. The d-line played well but the linebackers who played a starring role in Atlanta was nowhere to be found.I think we've seen the last of Shea Mclellin or either of the LB's drafted by the GM Phil Emery. In fact he and Mel Tucker can ride the same jackass out of town. I'm still salty over letting Devin Hester and Brian Urlacher go. Two of the greatest Bears of my lifetime walking away with nothing but a bad taste in their mouth. Seems like it's the way to do things now a days and people believe the athlete should just be glad for the opportunity to play. Yeah like I should be happy to have a job no matter how little I'm paid. Biggest fallacy in life!
Still what must be said while the broadcasters and the media Talk up Matt Forte like he's the best thing since Walter Payton. Forte couldn't hold Walters jock. Part of the Bears weakness on the offense is that while Forte leads the league in receiving and is somehow at last count 7th in the league in rushing yard (says more about the weakness of running backs in the league) even since the days of Ditka the best way to control the ball and time of possession isn't to throw on first down but to run the ball. Unfortunately Forte looks like he's running in mud. He cannot break tackles and is built more like a receiver than a running back. He cannot move a pile to keep a drive going. A further strike against Emery is that he drafted Khadeem Carey who will hardly be anymore productive than Forte. If I had a Hall of Fame ballot I would never vote for Forte to get in.
The problems facing the Bears is as a team. They're just not very good no matter how many supposed stars you draft or sign.There can always be something to gum up the works. I knew one day Brandon Marshall would go off about the teams lack of success? Who can blame the man when he hasn't been to the post season in his career and it's not looking likely this season either. When they go out and lose to his former team I'm sure that would bring out some emotions but with free agency a lot of people are playing against their former teams so there should be nothing special about this particular loss other than it was at home. When the Bears hired Trestman I thought their biggest struggle would be on offense considering it was the third  new offense in Cutlers time in Chicago. And as disastrous as the previous offenses if not coordinators have been I was  in his corner because I was sure I'd have seen the last of him before they could shore up the offensive line. Now with time to throw he seems to want to throw more passes to the other team regardless of which route the receivers were supposed to run. Most of hie interceptions have been thrown right to the defensive back. I must maintain that it is the defense that is this teams weakest point. While they have played better this year they still struggle with the read option and there's been talk in the media they defensive scheme is too vanilla. In other words most of the time they're out there they don't know what the hell is going on. Like I said they'll be 8-8 if they're lucky. It's likely that if they win the rest of their non divisional games they'll still lose to Green Bay this time at Lambeau, probably lose to an improved Detroit team but Sweep Minnesota who is flat out terrible. I guess we can expect even more yelling from Brandon Marshall.But who will step up and do some yelling for the defense?

No comments: