Friday, January 29, 2021

For Once I'm Not Rooting Against Tom Brady

For once I’m not going to root against Tom Brady. I see a lot of the Bears in the Buccaneers if they had a real quarterback. I know a lot of people didn’t think they’d get as far as the Super Bowl in just one season and surely not beat the Saints who I thought was the better team. This is also why I don’t gamble. However if you ask me who is going to win this year’s big game I have to pick Kansas City. Mahomes has proven he is the truth but they had to play in a number of close games this year. Basically the league has figured him out but he goes out there and finds ways to win. Although the AFC Championship game wasn’t close against a very good Buffalo team I think this game is going to be closer with the G.O.A.T on the field. If the ‘Bucs can keep him upright this could be a one possession game. I’m loathe to call Brady the G.O.A.T. with some of the greats that came before him. His success cannot be ignored and unlike others who have gone on to other teams and seemed to have tarnished their legendary status, ahem, Michael Jordan, Brady has taken a middling team and put them in the Super Bowl.

I’m not going to root against him like when he was in New England and considered a system Quarterback. With a few little touches here and there on offense including Antonio Brown (let’s hope he doesn’t get himself arrested before the game starts), and “Gronk,” it makes this game compelling. Not to say they’ll win but, compelling. I don’t believe this team is much better than this year’s Bears whom the Buc’s lost to and who tried to sign Brady. It shows how far the Bears’ Mitchell Trubisky needs to grow to be at least a good Quarterback and not in this lifetime. This is why the current Coach and Gm if not the GM Ryan Pace should either have been let go or his drafting privileges taken away. If he trades away another first round pick or any pick at all to get some half ass player it should be time for him to get out of Chicago. However this is not about Chicago.

 I don’t think if Brady was in last year’s Super Bowl it would have even been close because that was a pretty good 49ers team. And for that year Jimmy Garoppolo was a great quarterback who has all of a sudden turned into Carson Wentz. If you ask me for a final score I’d say Chiefs 35 Buc’s 27 with The Buc’s having the ball in the fourth quarter except Brady throws an interception to seal it for the Chiefs. But I predict Mahomes won’t see another Super Bowl as once again the league catches up to him with some good quarterbacks coming out of college. Or it could go the other way around in the season of Covid where we can’t figure if they benefitted from shortened seasons and we haven’t seen just how good or bad they can be as professionals. But I’m not going to root against Brady or for him. I think the fact we got this far is to be celebrated in a muted stadium with piped in sounds of cheers or boos and socially distanced fans for the few who are allowed to be there. I can’t forget to mention that this is the first time that is the first time a team is playing in its home stadium for a Super Bowl. With this bit of history how can I root for against anyone but take it in and remember where I was when it happened. My couch with a beer in my hand and the television up as loud as I can stand it.

 

 

 

No comments: